Access Statement for Eastacott Barton – Stable (Feb 2020)
Eastacott Barton is ideal for those who want a peaceful and rural location. Located about 8 miles from the coast, it provides an excellent location for exploring the delights of North Devon. We have two holiday cottages, which have been converted from Victorian stone built barns. The barns are approached over a quarter mile drive, and guests have access to 27 acres of amenity land which includes meadows, woodland and lakes.
Both barn conversions, (Stable and Harebell) have three ensuite bedrooms. Stable has significantly larger receptions rooms, which can comfortably cater for 12 people, allowing a single group to take both properties. The properties were extensively remodeled and refurbished in 2013.
In keeping with many barn conversions, access to and within the building has used existing openings, and a historic building. This means there are numerous different widths of door, some low beams and restricted headroom areas, and various levels between different parts of the buildings.
- For full details and maps of how to reach us please see the directions section of our website. Alternatively, you can plan your journey by car or public transport using google maps or www.transportdirect.info; simply enter your postcode and ours, which is EX37 9AJ to get directions.
- The nearest railway station is Umberleigh which is 1.5 miles away. Taxis are not available at the station.
- Given the rural location of Eastacott Barton, we would suggest that a car is essential.
- The local roads in North Devon can be very narrow, and this is certainly true here.
Key Collection, Welcome and Car Parking
- The keys can be collected from the owner’s who live in the farmhouse across the courtyard.
- Parking is available for 5 cars in a car park about 50 yds from the kitchen door of the cottage. There is also parking/hard standing immediately adjacent to the main entrance and kitchen for 2/3 cars.
- The car parking area has a gravel surface and the gravel drive leads to Stable cottage. The courtyard beside the cottage has a concrete surface.
- This area immediately around Stable is well lit at night by motion sensor lights.
Entrance to Property
- The front door 33ins/84cms wide, and there is a single 8in/20cms step up.
- The kitchen door is 34ins/87cms wide, and has no step, although there is a significant door sill.
- Both entrances are lit by external lamps, which have motion sensors, or can be permanently switched on.
- The floor inside is flagstone.
Halls, Stairs, Landings, Passageways
- The hall, stairs and landing are lit using ceiling lights
- The staircase and landing are 44 ins/112cms wide
- There are 11 steps, each 8ins/20cms high. There is a single handrail
- The floor covering is medium pile carpet.
- There is an additional 5 ins/10cms step up to the lower landing.
- The doorways into the first floor bedrooms are shaped round old beams, so are lower and narrower in parts.
- The sitting room/lounge is situated on the ground floor with level entry from the hallway.
- The door opening to the lounge is 65 ins/165 cms wide.
- The room has four, three seater sofas together with a number of low coffee tables.
- Furniture can be moved.
- There is a widescreen 50 inch digital television with remote control, and a DVD/home cinema player.
- Lighting is natural daylight through large french windows, and a full width bifold door set. By night levels are controlled with a range of overhead and wall lighting as well as table lamps around the room
- The flooring is flagstone
- A lower/conservatory like area is accessed by 2 steps of 5ins/12cms which lead down into it.
- The sitting room leads into the kitchen/diner with one 5 in/10 cm step down.
- The dining area is located in the kitchen.
- The kitchen is situated on the ground floor with one step down from the sitting room.
- There is step free external access.
- The door openings to the kitchen from the sitting room are 65 ins/165 cms wide.
- The range cooker has two ovens, one handle is 21ins/53 cms the other handle is 29ins/74cms from the floor. The grill handle is 29 ins/74 cms.
- Worktop and sink are 920mm/36ins above the floor.
- Fridge freezer. The highest fridge shelf is 60 ins/152 cms high, and the fridge opens down to the floor. The freezer extends from the floor to the highest shelf at 26 ins/66 cms. The wine cooler’s shelves range from 40 ins/102 cms to 60 ins/152 cms.
- The island is 89 ins/226 cms by 50 ins/127cms and 92 cms high.
- The kitchen table is 10 foot by 38 ins/97 cms wide. It is 30.5 ins/77 cms high.
- The island is lit by multiple track lights. The counter surfaces are lit by under unit lights. There are three pendant lights over the dining table. Further LED strip lighting illuminates the vaulted ceiling.
Bedrooms and Sleeping Areas
- There are two bedrooms on the first floor and one bedroom on the ground floor.
- The first floor bedrooms have medium pile carpet.
- The ground floor bedroom has oak flooring.
- All bedrooms have en suite bathrooms.
- All bedrooms have zip and link beds which can be configured as two 3ft x 6ft 6 inch singles or one superking of 6ft by 6ft 6 inches.
- The ground floor bedroom has a single 5 ins/12cms step up from the hall way, and a 4 ins/10cms step down into the ensuite.
- The first floor bedrooms have unusual shape door ways round beams.
Bathrooms, Shower-rooms and Toilets
- The ground floor ensuite has a low level WC, washbasin and 1400 cm shower tray.
- There is a single 4 ins/10cms step down into the ground floor ensuite.
- Lighting in the ground floor bathroom is through numerous LED ceiling lights.
- The master bedroom ensuite has a tiled floor. There is a low level WC, two basins, a 1700cms free standing bath and 900 cms quadrant shower. Lighting in this bathroom is through LED ceiling lights, and dual illuminated mirrors above the basins.
- The other first floor ensuite has a low level WC, basin and bath, with shower attachment in the bath. This bathroom has a tiled floor. Lighting is provided by ceiling lights. This bathroom has numerous low level beams. One beam sits over the bath itself.
- The utility area is incorporated into the hall.
- The door opening is 750mm/29.5ins wide.
- There is a drainer sink with mixer taps.
- There is a standard size washing machine and condensing drier. Both are front loading.
- The room is lit by a LED ceiling lights.
- Flooring is flagstones.
- There is a cloakroom off the utility area with wash basin and low level WC.
- There is a large paved patio area, which faces south.
- Access is either directly from the sitting room, or via a stepped path from the kitchen.
- There are four 8ins/20cms steps down from the sitting room to the patio.
- Teak table and chairs and a gas BBQ are available.
- Extensive gardens are all around the property.
- A small lake (stocked trout) is approx 50 feet south of the patio. The lawn areas adjacent to Stable slope down towards the lake.
- Extensive grounds comprising of meadows, woodland and lakes (in all 27 acres) is available to guests
- A maximum of two well behaved dogs are very welcome
- Mobile phone reception is generally very good
- Free WiFi is provided
- We operate a no smoking policy
- Smoke detectors are located in the landing and kitchen. A Carbon Monoxide detector is located in the sitting room.
Joanne & Matt Field
Mobile: 07756 164363